Thursday, March 24, 2011

Happy Birthday Reese!

You know when you wake up in the morning and you feel like you never slept? It seems that you literally just closed your eyes and there you are awake again, staring at the blaring red 7:00am in the alarm clock.  That is how this year has been.  It seems like it never started, and here we are at the end of it!  I remember the day Reese was born so clearly. Who knew a day that started out with an argument, a bowl of spilled cereal, and a 3rd degree burn caused by spilled tea would be full of my favorite memories.  That day has been the most pivotal of my life; when literally my whole world changed.  What a ride it has been!
I loved Reese the moment she was placed on my chest.  That love has grown with each passing moment.  That little girl is my world.  It's amazing how someone who is so small can affect your life in such a big way.  Things that once seemed so important have become insignificant.  I have realized the beauty in family and the simple moments that life has to offer.  I have a deeper appreciation for my parents and the sacrifices they have made for me.  I have an even higher respect for Chris and his unconditional love, support, encouragement and friendship. It's amazing that when you teach a child to grow, they teach you right back.  I am a better person today because of my daughter and I strive to be a role model for her. 
As I look back on this year, I realize it would impossible to not have been changed by everything that we've been through. The first year of a babies life is full of constant changes.  Their personalities, abilities, schedules or lack there of, are constantly changing. I had to learn quickly to adapt and not sweat the small stuff.  I look back and feel that I have accomplished something.  I know realistically this year is such a small piece of her life, but it is such a learning curve that it is hard not to feel like I have passed a large milestone after this first year. Reese has gone from a small helpless infant, to a little girl who talks (whether or not it is always actual English), walks (when she wants to!), feeds herself (and the dogs), and is more independent by the day (if you have ever seen her shake her hand and head no at me you would understand!).  She has become a person with a strong personality, an ever blossoming sense of humor and a stubborn streak that I am sure makes my parents chuckle (you know those "I hope you have a child just like you" comments we all got growing up). It is amazing how the year started out with constant feedings, spit up, blowouts, swaddling,  rocking and tummy time.  Now she sleeps twelve hours straight at night with two 1-2 hour naps during the day. Mealtimes are at specific times, and life is pretty predictable.  I am proud for all the milestones she has hit, and I have to admit I am also proud of Chris and I for how we have coped this year.  I think we have done a darn good job, I'm not saying we are perfect, far from it, but hey, she's still alive! I started out the year with just a few goals in mind in terms of parenting: 1. Put Reese first in everything I do 2. Have a happy, healthy baby 3. Quit my job and stay at home 4. Nurse without having to supplement for one year 5. get back in shape after baby.  One and two are ongoing goals, but I am proud that I can say I completed the others. Now it's time for a new set of goals for the year!  I look forward to all the new changes coming! I know there will be quite a few this year as we dive into toddler-hood, and all I can say is bring em' on!

I wrote a "birth story" a while back but have never posted it.  I thought today was a perfect day for a re-post.  Here is the link (FYI, I wrote this for myself so it might be a tad "graphic" for some)

http://lovinglifewiththeholcombs.blogspot.com/2010_03_01_archive.html 


Last "belly" picture! About 2 weeks before Reese was born!

Waiting! I was very blessed with a quick, "easy" labor!

Minutes after Reese was born!

Born at 11:03pm, 6lbs 4oz 17 inches


     
First family photo!
Cuddle time after a long day! Being born is hard work!
Easter 2010- 1 week old!
First weeks

First weeks

8 weeks
Around 8 weeks
About 2.5months


3 months

3.5 months

4 months
5 months

5.5 months
First Husky Game! Almost 6 months

6.5 months

7 months
8 months

First Christmas! 9 months

10 months



11 months

11.5 months

12 months! (well one day short!)




2 comments:

  1. Wow how time has FLOWN! A very happy birthday to sweet little Reese!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Reese! I can't believe that she is already a year old. I feel like I have blinked the time has passed! I loved all the pictures and reading your birth story! It brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete